“The world is dominated by computers and you can’t even begin to function with a computer unless you have at least basic knowledge about it.
Everything around us constantly evolves all the time. And making sure to keep up with this evolution we have to upgrade ourself regularly.
Whether it’s fashion or technology, dealing with their latest trends and software has become a must.
While we cannot give you the latest fashion tips right now, we can surely teach you something about computers.
And if you are someone who uses computer on a daily basis, you must not miss the piece of information that we have gathered for you on GPT protective partition.
What is it? How to use it? what is its use and where is it located in my computer? You will get answers of all these questions and a lot more detailed information on this subject but before that have a look at our table of contents.
|What is GPT protective partition?|
|How do I enable GPT protective partition?|
|How do I access GPT protective partition?|
|Is a GPT partition bootable?|
|What is GPT partition recovery?|
The inside information is going to be more interesting and useful than what the contents look like.
Just come along and have a look.
Not all Partitions are bad, some are Protective
“Computers are like old testaments of god, lots of rules and no mercy!”
Welcome to the world of protective partition.
Before taking you towards all the technical details of this hardware, let’s first make you understand a few things about GPT protective partition.
What GPT protective partition is?
The GPT was introduced as part of the Extensible Firmware Interface initiative.In this initiative provided by the GPT, there is a more flexible mechanism for partitioning disks than what it was in the older Master Boot Record partitioning scheme which was very common in the PCs.
The GPT scheme has been implemented under Microsoft in Windows XP x64 edition, Windows Server 2003 (64-bit), Windows Server 2003 SP1 (all versions), Windows Vista and Windows 7.
In this scheme of GPT, the user or the owner can neither open a specific disk partition nor make other operations on it via disk management if the a GPT protective partition shows up while using a program.
It means that you won’t be able to see, partition, format, delete or simply access data inside the GPT protective partition.
So, basically, the GPT Partition was developed to thoroughly understand the MBR partition size issues that a user generally faces while using their PCs.
What does partition mean in GPT protective partition?
You do understand what a storage means in the world of computers.
Just like that, a partition in the GPT protective partition, is a contiguous space of storage on a physical disk that functions as if it were a physically separate disk.
These so called physically separate partitions are taken care by the system firmware and the installed operating systems.
Accessing these partitions is controlled by the system firmware before the system boots the operating system, and after they start working, they are controlled by the operating system in the computer.
What is the use of GPT protective partition?
There must be some specific use of this hard drive? Afterall things aren’t created to do no work at all.
You must have noticed it sometimes that when you connect an internal or external hard drive to your system, windows disk management quickly pops-up to tell you that it is prepared with a GPT Protective Partition. This means that you cannot repartition or reformat the drive.
Also, this hard drive is used in daily life to prevent the users from accessing data on the drive and even stops them form managing the partition.
GPT is also required for disks larger than two terabytes.
One of the biggest advantages of having a GPT protective partition disk is that you can have more than four partitions on each disk of your computer.
What is the full form of GPT?
We have discussed so many things apart from the full form of GPT.
What does this abbreviation stand for?
Guide partition table, this is what your GPT stands for.
Moving on! You have understood the meaning of GPT in great detail along with its usage.
Now brace yourself because you are about to understand how to use and access this hard drive and some more commands related to it.
The Next Level Information
“Eyes are no more the soul mirror of a person.
On the contrary, the computer or the hard disk are!”
If this GPT is too protective for its data, there has to be an enable or disable button to it.
Afterall, this is what computers are meant to do.
They have to take commands from the operator or the owner. And when the owner wants to remove something, there has to be a way for that, right?
Including the GPT protective partition.
So, let’s first understand How do I enable GPT protective partition followed by how to disable it.
Here’s your step-by-step method on How do I enable GPT protective partition?
- Right-click on your desktop on the My Computer icon.
- Choose Manage from the options that display and select Disk Management.
- In the disk management, look for the drive that is labelled as GPT and note its Disk number.
- Then open a Command Window and from the command prompt, type diskpart and press Enter so that the diskpart prompt gets opened.
- In the diskpart prompt, type list disk and then press Enter.
It will show you list of disks in a text format. Then get back to the diskpart prompt.
- Type and select the disk number in the diskpart prompt and press Enter.
A message appears saying that the disk is selected. Then again you will have to return to the diskpart prompt.
- Type clean in the diskpart prompt again and press Enter. Now you will see the drive’s partition and signature gets removed. You will return to the diskpart prompt.
- Type exit and press enter in the diskpart prompt yet again and then type exit once more to close the Command Window.
After reaching this point, you can re-initialised, partition and format the internal and/or external drive.
- And now, launch the Disk Management, and to initialise the disk, do either of the two points given below;
- Use the Initialise and Convert Disk Wizard or
- Close the Wizard, right-click on the disk in question and select Initialize Disk from the drop-down menu.
- You can continue with using the Disk Management to partition and format the drive once your drive is initialised.
Finding it a bit difficult to perform? Believe us, it only because you are reading it. once you will follow these steps practically on your PC, you will get to know how easy it is to enable GPT protective partition.
Go, do it yourself and experience the ease.
The very next thing our readers ask is how do I access GPT protective partition? Are you one of them? Then here are the steps for you.
- Get the GPT protective partition software and launch it.
- After successfully launching it, download MiniTool partition wizard and install it as well.
- Then connect the GPT disk with Protective Partition to your computer. Open the software to select data recovery.
- After that scan the GPT disk which is under the hard disk with protective partition by clicking on the scan button.
- Choose all the files you want to or have to recover by looking through the found files carefully and picking out your needed ones.
You can delete the unwanted files if you wish to.
- Save all the recovered files on your PC that you have selected by pressing the Save button.
This one looks quite easy, isn’t it?
Oh, how we wish our lives came with such manuals, it would have been very easy to just follow all the steps, recover and save the lost data and delete the unwanted ones.
While there’s no option to do such thing in our lives, we can do it with our files and data which is negotiable.
Moving on! There are a few more things you need to know about GPT protective partition other than its access and enabling steps.
What are we talking about?
Come along and see it yourself.
Spilling all the Other Details
“My computer obeys my commands more than I obey my parents.”
Remaining? Detail? And what is that?
Well, you must know what command can be used to remove partitions and convert a drive to gpt, okay?
And even if this question didn’t strike in your mind, we are here to remind you and provide you with all the necessary information.
Here’s all the steps on how you can remove petition and convert a drive into GPT.
- First you have to call out the run dialog box by pressing the Win + R keys, after the box appears type diskpart in the box and hit enter.
- Then in the Command Prompt that is appearing on your screen, type list disk and hit Enter.
- Type select disk. Replace what appears on the screen with the disk number that you want to remove partitions on and then hit Enter.
- After finishing it, type clean and hit Enter.
Congratulations, you have successfully removed petitions and converted your drive to GPT.
What’s next? What more do you need to learn? Are we still missing onto anything?
Yes! You still don’t know why windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them?
And now, we are going to tell you how to fix them. Here are your next set of steps to help you.
- Check CBS. log file manually.
- Run sfc/scannow in safe mode.
- Check and repair hard drive errors.
- Check and repair hard drive errors.
- Restore system from backup.
These are all the ways in which you can find, protect and fix all the corrupt files on your system.
Read More : Find Your Stolen Phone with Cell Phone Tracker
Let’s Talk Partition and Storage
“I have far too much storage space, said no one ever!”
Nope! We are not going to talk about the literal partition or storage but the ones related to computers.
We are about to tell you some more useful details that you need to know about GPT partition and its recovery.
Here you go.
- What is GPT partition recovery?
If the data stored in the GPT protective partition is lost, data recovery is one of the best tools to recover it back from the GPT drive.
This process is called the GPT partition recovery.
Here are all the steps to recover your lost GPT data from the GPT recovery file.
- Download and install Recoverit Data Recovery on your computer and launch it.
- Then click on the lost partition to start. To retrieve your data back, Recoverit partition recovery will start scanning the lost partition of the data in GPT.
- When recoverit will successfully find all the lost data, you will be able to preview some recovered photos, videos, music, office document files.
To get all of them back in your PC, select your files and click “Recover” button.
- Avoid saving the recovered data to the same partition from where you have recovered it.
- Is a GPT partition bootable?
Booting GPT completely depends upon the windows or system software that you are using on your PC.
While it can be done swiftly in some software, the others require a special demand to boot.
For example, windows can only boot from GPT on UEFI-based computers running 64-bit versions of Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and corresponding server versions.
All versions of Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista can’t boot from them without UEFI. They can only read GPT drives and use them for data.
- What causes GPT protective partition?
The reason why GPT protective partition came into existence is because the normal disk management facilities were unable to overcome or handle the issue of internal and external hard disk.
While now-a-days, the internal or external hard disks are prepared on either Macintosh computer or on windows with a GPT partition, the normal disk management facility needed windows diskpart command-line utility to prepare and use the hard disk.
And with that, it’s a wrap! You have successful become an expert in knowing every bits of details on GPT protective partition and everything related to it.
Good on you, reader!
And we conclude that computer is a very vast world in itself and there are so many things to learn in it.
But that does not mean its difficult or impossible, you can know all about hard disks, storage, protection and even GPT protective partition if you are learning the details from the right place.
Also, don’t forget that just like on stairs, there are so many different steps in GPT protective partition as well.
Missing out on any one of them can make you fall to the place from where you started, again.